"Celebrate the happiness that friends are always giving, make every day a holiday and celebrate just living!" - Amanda Bradley

Monday, December 08, 2008

"Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time." ~Laura Ingalls Wilder

Last year my cousin, Lorinda, gave me this lovely book for Christmas. Cooking Up A Classic Christmas: Santa's Secrets for an Unforgettable Holiday, is a cookbook filled with gorgeous illustrations of Christmases past and some fantastic recipes.

So, I am creating a Christmas Eve menu out of this book...I am very excited. My in-laws come for Christmas Eve and I can't wait to share some of these recipes.

Do you have a traditional, have it every year without fail, meal on Christmas or Christmas Eve? or Do you mix it up a bit? (as you may gather I am of the mix-it-up variety, but there are certain dishes that make there way into the festivities every year, such as Butter horns made by my mother-in-law - YUM!)


9 comments:

  1. We don't have any official traditions ... which is kind of a bummer. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always do Christmas Eve at our house too. It varies who attends, but last year I started doing "The Feast of the Seven Fishes" which is a very old Italian tradition for Christmas Eve. You make seven different seafood dishes for the meal. Last year was really excellent, so we're doing it again this year.

    My Italian Grandparents always had Cioppino for Christmas Eve, so maybe linked to the "7" feast??

    Very cool-looking cookbook. How fun! Happy menu planning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prime Rib Roast and Yorkshire Puddings. We typically had that on Christmas day as a kid, but I've switched it to Christmas Eve since having the kids. We do an early dinner, followed by a candlelight service, and then opening the Christmas PJ's! That leaves Christmas Day for all the fun of opening and playing with new toys without Mom (i.e., me) having to worry about dinner. We have leftover rib roast on Christmas day. But I might switch it up this year and do fondue, which I've recently introduced to my kids, and they LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we do fresh (store bought) rolls on christmas morn of the pillsbury type!!1 love this idea!!! thanks for stopping by my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We mix it up every year. We all like to try something new:)

    Stopped by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always go to my mother-in-law's for Christmas Eve and she generally fixes homemade beef and noodles. OMG...yummmmmm...*drool*

    We go to my Mom n Dad's for Christmas Day and usually they fix turkey, ham, etc.

    Also, come see the award that I awarded you on my blog! YIPPEE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom cooks on christmas eve - turkey, ham, dressing, some sort of casserole, veggies. My grandmother cooks lunch on christmas day, usually fried chicken. And then we do dinner at my brother's house, usually sandwiches.

    We eat way too much those two days, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chicken Kiev baby,at moms. I taught her how to make it like...a zillion years ago (32) and it's been the official family Christmas dinner ever since.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great. They are like the Grande, 2-pump, Cinnamon-dolche, non-fat latte of the computer...Really! Thanks for the bloggin' coffee!