"Celebrate the happiness that friends are always giving, make every day a holiday and celebrate just living!" - Amanda Bradley

Friday, April 09, 2010

Barefoot Day wrap-up

When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal, you do not change your decision to get there.” —Zig Ziglar

As I mentioned earlier I participated with Miss Kelly from Sole Obsession in One Day Without Shoes (I am almost positive that we were the only people plus a nice pedicurist at Mane Styles who were doing this!). What an experience it was.

So what did I learn? How did it go?

*Shoe are good. I like shoes. A lot.
*Wet pavement is very cold and slimy and just plain icky!
*Floors in public places are questionable.
(with Kelly at Starbucks where they totally didn't even notice, or didn't care - one or the other, that we were shoeless)
*My feet got very cold. Even in my house.
*I love my slippers.
*Wrapping ones feet in a blanket is NOT the same thing as wearing socks or slippers!

(going into the grocery store. these feet were cold. it was wet. YUCK!)

*Having the put my feet outside was the hugest first step. One I dreaded.
*Driving a clutch requires shoes. REQUIRES!
*I do NOT have tough feet!
*Walking a mile(ish) barefoot is painful (pavement is hard - how is that for an observation?) and one has to be very careful to watch for broken glass, dog poop (ick people clean it up! I did not step in this but dang I would have been MAD), rocks...

One of the best things I did today was go on my walk. I was going to put on shoes because, well, duh I was going on a WALK, but my family said something about "talking the talk and walking the walk" so I headed out sans shoes. First of all, it made me slow down, way down, and I got to actually SEE a more than if I'd walked by fast. Second, people actually stopped and asked me why I didn't have shoes on. I got to talk to 5 different people (3 different stops) about what I was doing and why. It was good. I'm glad all of those people at first looked at me like I was crazy (I might be) and that they chose to ask me why the heck I'd leave my shoes at home. It's what I was after.

(finally some sun for my feet. It was still cold though!)

*Shoes are essential. We need them. Everyone needs them. So if you have old shoes donate them. You won't be sorry.

And a big thanks to Kelly for bringing this to my attention. While the long walk was a bit painful and I spent the day with cold toes I am glad I did (and I'd do it again!).

Now it's time to get ready for the day and I shall be wearing shoes and LOVING it!

Happy shoes people!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your cozy, happy feet today! I think you're very brave for going barefoot...I don't have tough feet either (no excuse) but I live on a farm...Is that a good enough excuse for not going barefoot??

    ReplyDelete

Comments are great. They are like the Grande, 2-pump, Cinnamon-dolche, non-fat latte of the computer...Really! Thanks for the bloggin' coffee!